Blog of an Artist finding her way

Friday 12 August 2011

My Landscapes Need Help!

This is a work in progress (WIP) of the landscape I have been trying to complete. It's Colour Pencil on A5 sketchbook paper. I don't think I am a natural landscape artist - I am struggling! I never seem to manage to complete a proper landscape. I think the main problem is I don't know how to do the texture and detail in landscapes, I am completely at a loss. For some reason Still Life drawings and close up details of images I can see the details. But doing a Landscape, with grass trees, etc. I can't seem to manage at all. I would be very grateful for anyone to give me some help and advice!

Here's the reference pic I have been working from:

2 comments:

  1. I am afraid that I cannot help much...I am with you on that one. I was once told to simplify...but, a great start on a very difficult subject there! Your frozen in the moonlight one is great and I think that is it, less is more:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Chrissy!

    I think you're definitely right, less is more. The image gets very complicated very quickly. I think my problem is I see a reference image and always assume I have to include every branch, every detail. Frozen in the Moonlight is much simpler, and much better for it I think. I remember just shading in the grass smooth and not worrying about the details, because at the time I wasn't sure how to render it. But now I can see it made the trees stand out, and I enjoyed creating the mist around and the reflections. Perhaps I shall have to put a motto up above my desk...

    "Simplify: Less is more!"

    A lesson I could definitely do with learning!

    Thanks so much for your help! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please note I do not like Spam - all comments are approved before appearing below.